Thursday, November 21, 2013

31 Day Challenge - Day 27

Proverbs 27:12 says "A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions". That's really what Proverbs is all about. God wanting us to have wisdom so that we can have eyes to see and do what's necessary to keep ourselves from evil.

I enjoy looking at model homes. I put it under the guise of "getting ideas" for my own house, but I can't say that I've used any of the ideas I've gathered. What I can say about looking at model homes is that it has the ability to provide discontentment to my heart. I become envious of what I don't have. My answer to not allowing this discontentment to invade my heart regarding my current residence is to first admit that I can become discontent with my home. My next step is to determine in my mind that I am completely content with what I have, that it is lovely and is a gift from God. But the best possible solution to avoid discontentment 100% is to not go and look at the model homes. Now, to some, that may sound drastic, but not so. Everyone knows their limits, whether they choose to abide by them or not. A recovering alcoholic stays away from liquor. A spend-a-holic cuts up their credit cards. A person who has lust of the eye deprives the eyes of what makes them lustful. The Bible says if your eye offends you, you should pluck it out, (Matthew 18:9; 5:29 and Mark 9:47). Of course, we may not literally pluck or gouge out our eyes, but we instead stop doing and stop enabling those things that cause us to stumble. We practice the new life, the forgiven life, the redeemed life. Why should we agonize over things that cause us death; over things that God has not determined we need or has provided for us?

Whatever obstacle or danger lurks in our path, the Bible tells us that by practicing wisdom, using the knowledge and understanding it brings, and then exercising restraint, we will keep ourselves from danger and more importantly, make our Savior glad!

No comments: