Tuesday, October 22, 2013

31 Day Challenge - Day 22

"Direct your children onto the right path, and when they are older, they will not leave it",
(Proverbs 22:6). This is one of the most popular scriptures among Christian parents. Especially as our children reach their teen years, we like to quote this scripture as encouragement through trying times. The first focus is on us, that we are being obedient to the command of The Lord to bring our children up, or as the NLT says, direct them onto the right path. I appreciate that it does not say that if I direct them onto the correct path they will not depart, it says they will not depart when they are old. The implication to me is that the child has to do some growing, some maturing. They need to acquire understanding, and yes, that word, WISDOM. Isn't that interesting, that's exactly what happened in my life. I had to go through some trials and tribulations before I began to fear the Lord; before I received any wisdom. What a comfort to know that it's okay if children stray. It's not especially comfortable or enjoyable, but we do not need to feel the pressure of raising perfect children. Nor do we need to experience guilt when our children don't turn out as we want or desire them to. It allows them to be individuals, with individual lives, mistakes, challenges and personal testimonies. Their growing and learning is not about us - it's about them, and about their Maker maturing, making and molding them into His plan and purpose.

Oh, Lord, give me grace to raise my children, give me peace and love to let them be who they are, give me hope to trust who you've called them to be and give me wisdom to know that YOU have everything under control! I love you Lord!!


No comments: