Thursday, October 3, 2013

31 Days of Wise Words - Day 3

Day 3, Proverbs 2 - Wisdom is knowledge of God. Not just who He is, but who He is to me.

When we're toddlers, we do what our care givers ask because they tell us to. When we're a little older our  obedience comes from experience, whether its a swat on the bottom or a time out in a chair. As we mature, we may choose to do the right thing because we want to avoid uncomfortable consequences. When we gain knowledge and understanding, we can choose to do the right thing because we understand the benefit of doing it. That's when we begin to experience real wisdom, doing the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

For instance, I might choose to eat healthy food because I feel great when I do and I know I will get the best results in my physical body. When I choose to follow God's instruction even when its not the easiest, most popular or most enjoyable thing to do; that's wisdom at work in my life. I don't just acknowledge the consequences, I understand the benefits. I desire those benefits and God blesses me with common sense and safety and peace and success in my life. When I listen to what God says and treasure his commands, when I tune in to wisdom and concentrate on and ask for understanding and insight, I am given the ability to fear The Lord, which is the beginning of all wisdom. In return for obedience, "He grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. He guards the paths of the just and protects those who are faithful to him. Then you will understand what is right, just, and fair, and you will find the right way to go. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will fill you with joy. Wise choices will watch over you. Understanding will keep you Safe. Wisdom will save you from evil people, from those whose words are twisted." (Prov. 2:7-12)

Desire relationship with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Not just a head knowledge of who He is, but a heart knowledge of who He is to YOU!

No comments: